Monday, October 27, 2008

Portfolio #1 Review

Well, the deal is: I am losing money.

This happened because once I got my portfolio I was ready to buy. By then the stock market had come down a lot and many stocks looked cheap. What I did not know, was that the stock market had farther to go down. What happened? By the time I had invested about 95% of my cash, I was in a position to only wait and see. Because I was so heavily invested and the value of my stocks had decreased so much, I am actually feeling a little stuck.

What did I learn? I should have taken the advice of Jim Cramer from about 6 months ago. He said that whatever amount I wanted to invest, I should invest it in small increments For example, $10,000 should be invested over the course of 3, 6 or 12 months, not all at once. I thought the market was cheap enough and as soon as Apple, Inc. (AAPL) recovered some of its losses I though I would sell some shares and buy some other stuff hoping for a big move. So far, my portfolio is down about 8% and it seems to be headed lower.

I am still hopeful for Apple, Inc. (AAPL) to begin its ascent to the top of its seasonal price, but I am so far just sitting here waiting. I hope this strategy works, soon.

No comments: